A gift as precise as the work.
Please note: A digital caliper is NOT included with the AMPv2.
Simply attach any 6” digital caliper to the jaws of the AMPv2 and the caliper becomes an adjustable hypotenuse. Using the resolution of the millimeter readout (.01mm), it is possible to accurately determine and set 15,240 unique angles over a 90 degree quadrant. Each of these angles is as accurate as a stand-alone reference—plus or minus 30 arc seconds. This accuracy is important because digital alternatives today tout an accuracy of .1 degree which is the equivalent of an 8” try square that is 0.014” out of square as measured at the end of the blade—this is completely unacceptable for furniture grade work. In contrast, and using the same 8” example, the accuracy of the AngleMaster Pro v2 maximum error is 0.0011”/.028mm.
HOW IT WORKS In conjunction with the AngleMaster Pro v2, we created an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch app as well as a web based spreadsheet. The spreadsheet can be found here:www.bridgecitytools.com/anglemaster/data
Here is the list of calculators:
* Identify any Unknown Obtuse or Acute Angle: The AMPv2 reads obtuse angles direct. Acute angles are transferred to the AMPv2 via a “t”-bevel. Once the unknown angle is determined, the app also calculates the elevation angle (deviation from horizontal), the tilt angle (deviation from 90 degrees), grade/slope% and the rise/run ratio. And lastly, the miter angle for the obtuse angle is also determined. For example, you have an obtuse corner in your home and you want to miter a chair rail to precisely fit the corner. The obtuse angle of the wall measures 91.258 degrees. The miter angle for you chair rail is 134.371 and the caliper setting is 90.26. You can go straight to your saw and set-up accordingly knowing the math is dead-on perfect.
* Set any Obtuse Angle: Enter the angle in the app and the caliper setting is calculated. For example, entering 122.5 degrees = 68.50.
* Set any Tilt Angle: Tilt angle is always measured from perpendicular. For example, to tilt your table saw blade exactly 7.125 degrees (8:1), enter 7.125 to find the caliper setting of 15.96. This creates an obtuse angle on the AMPv2 of 97.125 (90 + 7.125).
* Set any Elevation Angle: Also known as Angle of Inclination. Elevation angles are always measured from horizontal. If you want to make a 9.5 degree skateboard ramp, the caliper setting is 142.58 * Ratio to Degrees: Some disciplines use ratios to describe angularity. For example, using the AMPv2 app it is easy to determine that the ratios of 8:1 and 6:1 are 7.125 and 9.462 degrees respectively. This calculates tilt angles exclusively.
* Rise/Run to Degrees: Enter a rise of 1 and a run of 5 to learn the elevation angle is 11.310 with a caliper setting of 140.54
* Segmented Ring Protractor: Use this section to precisely learn the caliper settings for any number of segments that comprises a ring. For example, a 15 segment ring requires you to set your miter gage/chop saw to 102 degrees. The acute angle of each segment is 24 degrees (360/15)
* 90 Degree Corner with Dissimilar Stock Width: When your rails and stiles are different widths, the miter angle is never 45 degrees. For example, a stile that is 60mm and a rail of 50mm creates obtuse/acute miter angles of 129.806/50.194for the 60mm stile and 140.194/39.806 degrees for the rail. This is so fast it is crazy.
* Compound Miters for Closed Forms: Whether you are making vessels, pedestals, or any closed form where the base and top are different diameters, the app will give you the perfect results. For example, a 5 sided form with an elevation angle of 50 degrees requires you to set your miter gage to 115.033 degrees and tilt your saw blade 26.761 degrees.
* Compound Miter for any Known Angle: Nothing is perfect but your work will be without any of the head-scratching hassles of trial and error. Enter any acute or obtuse angle and an elevation angle (the angle of the sides to horizontal) and the app does the work. For example, a corner angle of 108.22 degrees and an elevation angle of 45 degrees will require you to tilt your saw blade 24.490 degrees and set your miter gage to 117.098 degrees.
* Right Triangle Calculator: There are many aspects of construction that involve identifying segments of a right triangle. Enter two variables (Side 1, Side 2, Hypotenuse) and the app will calculate the third.
* Circumference Calculator: If you have a round conference table that is 52.5 inches in diameter, the length of the edge banding will be 164.934 inches. Today just about everybody has a smart phone and all of the information presented above is available via a web link—and for those who don’t have a smart phone, the information for the AMPv2 will be available on our website. The AngleMaster Pro v2 is a superb transfer bevel, it sits perfectly flat and allows you to pick-up angles from drawings, etc. One benefit of the magnetic soles is the ability to attach a 6” pocket rule and use the AMP as a try-square. The accuracy and repeatability of the AngleMaster Pro v2 allows us to use this instrument to calibrate our own squares—it is fast, accurate and frankly, fun.
THE ACCESSORIESThe AngleMaster Pro features a tool-less attachment feature. Currently we offer the following “shoes” in a kit that consist of:
* “V” Groove Shoe; This shoe will allow you to set/determine angles on cylindrical shapes such as twist drills, pipe and tube. It is really hand for setting drill press tables accurately.
* “Knife Edge” Shoe; This shoe allows you to take static readings of angles where the wider sole might interfere, for example, reading the angle of a tilted saw blade where the gap between the teeth is narrow.
* Flat Shoe; This shoe is used when you do not need or want the magnets to interact with your surface.
A Bubble Level was also available to pre-order alongside the AMPv2 so that one can identify angles “in space such as rise/run requirements, slope, etc. AngleMaster Pro v2 Specs:
The AMP-v2 Anglemaster is CNC milled from solid aluminum, both legs are magnetic. All ball bearing hinges, anodized and quick references laser etched on the back. Each leg has integral shoe locks which require no tools to adjust. The reason many struggle with accurate miters is the lack of precision. For example, setting a standard small protractor to 66.141 degrees is a bad guess at best. In order to do your best work (zero filler) you have to be able to quantify your efforts. The AngleMaster Pro will provide you with unprecedented accuracy and this makes your job so much easier. Knowing is so much more fun that guessing—the AngleMaster Pro v2 is the most confidence inspiring tool we have ever produced. Complex joinery is now as easy as a 90 degree butt joint! Digital Calipers We have tested a wide range of digital calipers that are on the market today. Some of the cheaper calipers that we tested have terrible battery life issues. Others don't measure down to .01mm which is necessary for the AMPv2 to work well. We recommend the Mitutoyo Absolute Digimatic which is readily available at many industrial supply houses and also Amazon. We do not include a caliper with the AMPv2.
This item is no longer in production and is not available for purchase. It is listed here for reference purposes only. The last known published price is listed below.